If you’re looking for a long weekend getaway, there are many destinations in the United States that will fit the bill. Some popular choices include New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Orlando, San Diego, and Seattle. Each destination has its own attractions and opportunities for relaxation, making it the perfect spot to spend a few days or a whole week. This list is by no means meant to be all-inclusive. There are literally hundreds of different places to visit in America, so if you have a favorite place that isn’t on this list, please leave it in the comments below!
Why take a long weekend getaway in the US?
The United States is home to many incredible long weekend destinations that offer everything from luxurious spa retreats to lively city centers. From bustling city life to serene nature trails, there are plenty of places to explore in America’s fifty states. Whether you’re looking to escape the cold weather or simply take a break from work, here are six reasons why taking a long weekend getaway in the US is a great idea:
Types of long weekend getaways: City breaks, beach vacations, road trips
The types of long weekend getaways are endless – there is something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a city break in the US, a beach vacation in Mexico or a road trip across America, there is a destination perfect for you. Here are just some of the most popular types of long weekend getaways:
City Trips long weekend getaway
Looking for a long weekend getaway? Check out some of our favorite city destinations in the US below! Whether you’re looking for a vibrant city to explore like New York or an idyllic beach town like Myrtle Beach, these destinations will have you feeling nothing but relaxed and inspired.
The city has been buzzing with excitement as the long weekend approaches. Many people are looking for ways to have fun and get out of the house, and there are plenty of events and activities to choose from. A city break in the United States can be a great way to explore some of the country’s most vibrant and historical cities. From New York to Los Angeles, there are plenty of options for visitors looking for a break from the routine. Whether you’re looking for historic sights, world-famous attractions, or just some lively nightlife, these city breaks will have you spoilt for choice.
Beach Vacations weekend getaway
This long weekend, take your vacation to the beach. Escape the city and enjoy some time in nature. Pack your bag and head to the coast, where you can find endless opportunities for fun in the sun. Here are six tips to make your beach vacation even more enjoyable:
1. Plan well in advance – The farther out you book, the cheaper your flights will be.
2. Bring a picnic lunch – There’s nothing like a day at the beach to eat a good meal outside under the stars!
3. Bring a tent or an air mattress – If you’re looking for an extra layer of comfort, bring along a tent or an air mattress for sleeping in between waves.
4. Book local attractions – When you’re on vacation, it’s all about relaxing and enjoying yourself!
Road trip weekend getaway
Looking for a weekend getaway that is both relaxing and fun? Consider taking a road trip. Whether you’re looking to escape the city for a weekend or explore some new scenery, road trips offer plenty of opportunities for fun and relaxation. Here are a few tips to help make your road trip go smoothly:
1) Pick a destination with plenty of attractions to keep you busy. Whether you’re planning on hitting up historical sites, enjoying the arts, or exploring nature, there’s sure to be something to interest you on your trip.
2) Pack light and pack efficiently. Not only will packing lightly save space in your car, but it’ll also make the journey easier. Think about what you’ll need ahead of time and pack only what’s necessary.
3) Make sure your vehicle is in good condition.
Weekend Getaways to the country
Some people prefer to escape the hustle and bustle of big city life and escape to the country. There’s something so relaxing and rejuvenating about spending a weekend away in the country.
Looking for a weekend getaway that’s far from the hustle and bustle of city life? Check out some of our favorite destinations in the country:
1) The Appalachian Mountains – For a scenic drive or hike, head to the Appalachian Mountains. These mountains offer a variety of trails for all types of adventurers, from beginner hikers to seasoned outdoorsmen.
2) The Great Lakes Region – If you’re looking for something more inland, consider visiting one of the Great Lakes. Whether you want to kayak or sail on one of these beautiful lakes, there’s sure to be something for everyone.
3) The Texas Hill Country – One of our favorite weekend getaways is the Texas Hill Country. This area is known for its breathtaking vistas and abundant wildlife. From hiking trails to charming towns, there’s plenty to do in this beautiful region.
How to plan your long weekend trip: Booking airfare and hotels, deciding on what to do
Looking for a way to spend your long weekend? Planning the trip yourself can save you money, and it’s a fun way to let your imagination run wild. Here are some tips for booking airfare and hotels, selecting what to do on your break, and making the most of your time away.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing getaway or something more exciting, planning your trip yourself will give you more control over costs and ensure that you have everything you need while away. Start by booking flights and hotels separately, then decide what activities appeal to you. You might prefer to stay in one place all weekend or explore several different spots. Once you’ve got a plan, enjoy the freedom to relax and enjoy yourself!
Popular destinations for a 3-day weekend getaway in the US
When it comes to long weekend getaways, Americans know two places above all others: New York City and Los Angeles. But what about the rest of the country? Here are 17 other destinations that have been gaining in popularity among travelers:
Boulder, Colorado is a wonderful place to visit for a long weekend. There are many things to do in Boulder, and it is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Here are some suggestions for things to do on your weekend break in Boulder:
1) Take a walk around the Pearl Street Mall. This is a beautiful mall with many stores and restaurants to enjoy.
2) Visit the University of Colorado campus. This is a great place to explore and see all of the beautiful architecture.
3) Go hiking in nearby Rocky Mountain National Park. This is an amazing park with lots of trails that will take you through beautiful scenery.
4) Watch a game at one of the local stadiums. There are several baseball, basketball, and football games available each season.
5) Check out some local art galleries or museums.
When planning a weekend break in Austin, Texas, it’s important to consider the city’s many attractions. From hiking and biking trails to museums and nightlife options, there is plenty to do on a long weekend or during a weekend escape. Here are some of the best things to do in Austin during a visit:
1. Visit the Capitol Building and see the state capitol’s impressive collection of paintings and sculptures.
2. Drive out to Dell Diamond for a baseball game or watch concerts at The Moody Theater.
3. Take a leisurely walk around Lady Bird Lake or explore Zilker Park for a picnic lunch.
4. Attend one of the many live music events happening in town, from blues and country concerts to world-renowned symphonies and ballet companies.
5. Tour the city’s beautiful houses and learn about Austin’s roots in Texas history.
6. Unwind at one of the many spas, salons, or other relaxation options.
7. Catch a show at one of the city’s many live music venues.
8. Enjoy up to 50 miles of bike trails along Lady Bird Lake . Ride your bike along the lakefront and enjoy outdoor recreation, scenic views, restaurants, and shopping opportunities along the way.
San Francisco, California
Starting your weekend in San Francisco can be a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. This city is known for its amazing views, and there are plenty of places to take in all of the sights and sounds. Whether you’re looking for a short break or a long weekend destination, here are some ideas to get you started:
Start with a walk around Fisherman’s Wharf. This lively district is home to tons of restaurants and shops, as well as some impressive landmark buildings like the Pacific Gas & Electric Company building and the USS Pampanito museum. The views from atop Justin Herman Plaza are also worth checking out.
If you want to explore more of the city, take a cable car ride up Mount Davidson for amazing views over the Bay Area. Or, if you want to check out some of the city’s more interesting architecture and history, take a tour of the Presidio.
If you’re looking for one of the best places to take in some San Francisco Bay views, head out to Sausalito. You’ll find one of the most beautiful bridges in the Bay Area right here, and breathtaking views of the Golden Gate Bridge.
If you’re into shopping, stop by Sausalito’s quaint little shops and boutiques. Or, if you want to shop in a big way, the city is also home to several of San Francisco’s largest shopping malls: Westfield San Francisco Centre (formerly City Center) at 101 California Street and Mills at 4th St.
Looking for a weekend getaway in Boston? Check out our list of things to do in the city during your long weekend break! From museums to historical sites, there is plenty to see and do in Boston – making it the perfect destination for a relaxing long weekend escape.
Boston has plenty of things to do for visitors of all ages. From historical attractions to world-renowned restaurants, here are some suggestions for things to do in Boston this long weekend:
Take a walk through the historic district on Saturday morning and see the colorful houses from different eras. Try out a new restaurant on Saturday night and stay for dinner. Head over to Beacon Hill Village on Sunday morning to explore the shops and galleries before lunch at an old-fashioned diner. Afternoon tea is another favorite pastime in town, so take a break at one of the many charming teahouses around town. In the evening, check out one of the city’s top theaters or enjoy a show at one of Boston’s famed music venues. All these activities can be completed in just one day!
Whether you’re looking to explore on your own or take advantage of some of the city’s top attractions, we’ve got you covered. Be sure to check out our complete list of things to do in Boston on a long weekend for a personalized itinerary.
Looking for something to do on a long weekend in Chicago? Here are some suggestions!
If you’re looking for a long weekend getaway, consider visiting the city during the summer. There are plenty of things to do in Chicago during the warmer months, from exploring Millennium Park to taking in a game at Wrigley Field.
If you’re looking for a long weekend break, consider hitting up one of Chicago’s many neighborhoods. Some of our favorites include Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Andersonville. All of these areas have their own unique stores and restaurants that you won’t find anywhere else in the city.
No matter what time of year you visit Chicago, there’s always something happening: from Dixon City Days to Street Festivals!
Looking for a weekend break that will leave you feeling rejuvenated? Head to Miami – the city has everything you need and more to make your break unforgettable. Here are 8 things to do in Miami during your long weekend visit:
1. Start your weekend with a walk around Liberty City. This historic district is full of unique shops and restaurants and is perfect for exploring on foot.
2. Next, head down to South Beach for some sun and fun. This buzzing beach town is home to tons of nightclubs, restaurants, and bars – there’s definitely something for everyone!
3. If you’re looking for a bit of culture, head over to Coconut Grove – this neighborhood is home to some beautiful historic homes and museums, like the Museum of Fine Arts.
4. If you’re in Miami for a long weekend, you should definitely check out the art museum on Friday night. The Art Deco District is full of beautiful historic houses, and the building itself is gorgeous.
5. Want to know more about local history? Walk along Flagler Street and see how this neighborhood has always been a part of Miami’s history.
6. If you’re looking for some nature, head down to Everglades National Park – the park is home to tons of wildlife and beautiful scenery.
Looking for a weekend break? Washington D.C. is the perfect destination! This long weekend, you can explore the city on your own or take advantage of some of the many attractions and things to do available in D.C. during the weekend. Here are a few suggestions:
Head to the National Mall for a day of sightseeing and Smithsonian museums. The mall has something for everyone, including a federal memorial dedicated to America’s war veterans, an inspiring tribute to civil rights marchers, and much more.
If history is your thing, don’t miss out on visiting the White House (or Presidential Museum as it is now called). The mansion has been home to more presidents than any other building in America and provides an incredible glimpse into American history – from George Washington’s bedroom to John F Kennedy’s Oval Office!
For a taste of history, head to the Library of Congress. The oldest building in the District of Columbia, it is where Thomas Jefferson started the first library and it offers an amazing view of the city.
Don’t miss out on a trip to American History & Lincoln Memorial.
When considering a long weekend or weekend break in Seattle, there are many things to do and see. From the iconic Space Needle to the world-renowned Pike Place Market, there is plenty to explore when in this vibrant city. Some of the top places to enjoy a weekend escape include The Olympic Sculpture Park, which has pieces by renowned artists like Henry Moore and David Smith; Fremont Arts District, with its trendy boutiques and art galleries; and Pioneer Square, home to famous Seattle landmarks like the Starbucks Reserve Roastery and the Washington State History Museum. Whether you’re looking for things to do on your own or want some recommendations from locals, here are 8 things to do in Seattle during your next weekend getaway.
1. Visit the Seattle Aquarium
The Seattle Aquarium will appeal to lovers of all things marine. The aquarium houses over 36,000 animals from all over the world and is a wonderful place to take your kids (or yourself)!
2. Visit the Seattle Great Wheel
The Seattle Great Wheel is a great place to take in the views of downtown, Elliott Bay and Lake Union. It’s an observation wheel that can host up to 300 people at a time, with views of all three areas as you go around.
3. Take a ferry ride
The beautiful views of the Seattle skyline from Lake Washington are a definite must-see when visiting Seattle. Take a short 20-minute ferry ride, which offers great views of the city’s iconic Space Needle and Mt Rainier.
4. Visit the Museum of Flight, which is a museum that gives you a great look at the history of aviation. It’s a must for any aviation enthusiast!
Asheville, North Carolina
Asheville, a beautiful mountain town in North Carolina, is the perfect place to escape for a long weekend. There are plenty of things to do in Asheville during a weekend break, and it’s also an excellent place to visit if you’re looking for a relaxing weekend getaway. Here are some of the things you can do while visiting Asheville:
-Take a walk around the city’s historic district and check out the art galleries and boutiques.
-Visit one of the many breweries in the area and enjoy a cold beer or some delicious food at one of the local restaurants.
-Enjoy a day hiking or biking through nearby trails.
-Visit one of the many vineyards in the area and taste some delicious wine.
-Check out all of the local festivals that are held throughout the year – there’s always something exciting going on!
Looking for a long weekend getaway? Check out Philadelphia! This city has plenty to offer visitors during their long weekend or weekend break. Whether you’re looking to explore the history and architecture of the cityscape or simply relax in some of its charming parks, there are plenty of things to do on your visit. Here are three fun ideas for a 3-day weekend in Philly:
1. Take a walk through the historic district of Independence Mall and experience some of Philadelphia’s most iconic architecture.
2. Head to Fairmount Park for a day of hiking, biking, and sitting by the lake. There are also several restaurants and shops located throughout the park.
3. Catch a game at one of the city’s many stadiums – including Lincoln Financial Field (home of the Eagles) or Citizens Bank Park (home of the Phillies).
Bonus Idea: Visit the Philadelphia Zoo to feed giraffes and learn about wildlife conservation.
Savannah is a charming city located in historic Georgia state. It’s known for its long weekend and weekend break destinations. Here are some things to do in Savannah:
-Take a walk around the squares and parks downtown.
-Explore the Historic District, which features centuries-old architecture and businesses.
-Visit the Savannah History Museum, which has exhibits on Southern history.
-Enjoy a leisurely lunch or dinner at one of the many restaurants in historic downtown Savannah.
-View beautiful architecture from nearby squares such as Forsythe Park or Chippewa Square.
-Stroll by the waterfront and take in some of the amazing views of ships and boats docked at the port.
If you’re looking for a long weekend escape, look no further than Galena, Illinois. This historic town is located in Grundy County and offers plenty of activities for visitors to enjoy during their long weekend break. Here are some of the things to do in Galena:
-Take a nature walk through the parks and gardens located throughout the town.
-Visit one of the many antique stores that line Main Street.
-Walk around and take in the historical architecture found throughout Galena.
-Enjoy a relaxing day at one of the local beaches or lakes.
-Enjoy a musical performance at the historic Galena Theatre.
-Take a stroll along the streets of downtown Galena, stopping to admire the architecture and the shops located along the way.
Whether you’re here for a three-day weekend or just want to take a quick break from work, Galena has something for everyone to enjoy!
Looking for a weekend escape? Look no further than Sequim, Washington. This small town on the Olympic Peninsula is perfect for a long weekend break – with plenty to do in just three days! Here are some of the things you can do:
1. Take a long walk on the waterfront promenade. Sequim has some beautiful scenery and waterfront walks to enjoy, making it the perfect spot for a relaxing stroll.
2. Head to the museum. There’s always something new at the Sequim Museum of History, and kids will love exploring the exhibits.
3. Visit one of Sequim’s many local businesses. From restaurants to boutiques, there are plenty of places to spend your time in this charming town.
4. Enjoy a kayak adventure. Sequim is on the coast, so you’ll be able to enjoy some great sea kayaking.
5. Lace up and head to the rink. Sequim’s always been a hockey town but recently added an ice rink for public skating!
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Imagine a long 3-day weekend in the sun, surrounded by stunningly beautiful beaches and friendly locals. Gulf Shores is just the spot for a weekend break! Here are some things to do:
-Take a walk on the beachfront or relax on one of the many sun loungers.
-Go fishing in the Intracoastal Waterway or ride waves at one of the local surf spots.
-Visit one of the local museums or go shopping at one of Gulf Shores’ many boutiques.
-Stroll through charming downtown Gulf Shores and enjoy an ice cream sundae at one of its many family-owned cafes.
Whatever you do, don’t miss out on dining at one of Gulf Shores’ award-winning restaurants – from seafood to steakhouse favorites, there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
Gulf Sedona is a beautiful place to visit during the long weekend or for a weekend break. You can spend it relaxing in the hotel pool or enjoying a meal at one of the many restaurants. Or you can take an overnight adventure and explore the hot springs in Sedona, Arizona. Don’t forget to visit the famous Red Rocks of Sedona and enjoy a sunset at the famous rock formations.
Here are some things to do during your stay:
-Take a hike in Red Rock National Monument
-Swing by the shopping areas in Cottonwood and Oak Creek
-Stroll through the villages of Jerome and Oakhurst
-Check out the natural wonders at Arizona’s largest national park, Natural Bridges National Monument
-Take in a show at the historic Theatre in Williams.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Looking for a long weekend getaway or city break? Look no further than Albuquerque, New Mexico. This charming city has plenty to offer visitors, including attractions like the Museum of International Folk Art and Sandia Peak Ski Resort. In addition to all of the great things to do in Albuquerque, there are also plenty of beautiful natural landscapes nearby that can be explored on foot or by bike. Three days is definitely not enough time to explore everything this vibrant city has to offer, so make sure you plan a weekend trip!
Here are some ideas for things to do in Albuquerque this weekend:
1. Take a long weekend and explore the city on your own! There are plenty of attractions, restaurants, and shops to enjoy no matter what your interests are.
2. If you’re looking for a city break, Albuquerque is perfect – it’s close to both major cities (Las Vegas and Santa Fe) and has plenty of interesting places to visit.
3. For a weekend escape, Albuquerque is amazing – there’s always something new happening here, from concerts and festivals to art galleries and hiking trails. 4. If you only have three days in town, make the most of them by doing lots of different things! There’s never a dull moment in Albuquerque – so make the most of it!
Phoenix, Arizona, is one of the most popular destinations in all of America. With over 3. million visitors coming to the city each year, there is no shortage of things to do and see. The city’s major attractions include the Phoenix Zoo, Desert Botanical Garden, and Arizona Science Center. The Grand Canyon is close by as well, making this trip a great opportunity to see these famous natural wonders with the whole family. The city’s Sky Harbor International Airport makes it easy for visitors to get to Phoenix from almost anywhere in the country. Be sure to check out the city’s many parks and recreational opportunities as well!
Phoenix is a hot spot for city breakers and weekend escapees alike. Whether you’re looking for something to do in the daytime or evening, there are plenty of things to do in Phoenix. Here are 8 activities that will have you exploring this vibrant city:
1. Take a walk on the historic streets of downtown Phoenix. stroll through the pedestrian-friendly streets lined with century-old buildings and admire the architecture while taking in some stunning views.
2. Visit one of the many museums in Phoenix, like the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Heard Museum. Both offer great exhibits and vary in price ranges, making them perfect for all budgets.
3. Eat at some of Phoenix’s top restaurants, like The Kilt or The Source Terrace Cafe. Both serve up delicious food and have outdoor seating that provides prime viewing of the cityscape below.